As you may know, we at Semper Firearms Training are strong advocates of the 5-step method for self defense and personal safety:
- Awareness: employing proper situational awareness. Learn Jeff Cooper’s time-tested Color Code System.
- Avoidance: stay away from bad places, high risk circumstances, and bad people. Yes, Pollyanna, there really are bad people out there. Never doubt or forget that. Read Dave Grossman’s excellent piece entitled “On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs.”
- Evasion: do you see it coming? Take evasive maneuvers now. We do this constantly while driving. The same general principle applies when we are on our feet.
- Escape: caught up in bad scene? Get out of there! Can’t run? Leave any way you can.
- Fighting: when left with no other option, defend yourself. Use what is appropriate for the circumstance, be it hand-to hand, less lethal force (baton, pepper spray, or stun gun), and lastly, deadly force.* Refuse to be a victim!
Back to the subject of “bad people.” Is anyone completely immune from crime? No, I don’t believe so. Even in posh, gated communities, we see it, although to a lesser degree than in impoverished areas. Is there a map of places where “bad people” hang out? Not exactly, but we do have SpotCrime.com, a great resource to keep you informed of criminal activity, where and when it has occurred, and more. Per the website:
What is SpotCrime?
SpotCrime is a public facing crime map and crime alert service. With SpotCrime, it’s easier than ever to check crime anywhere in the United States and many other countries worldwide. Our daily crime maps allow you to learn about crime in your city down to the neighborhood, zip code, or street level. As the most visited crime mapping website, SpotCrime allows you to easily look up city and county crime data and reports — all the way down to local neighborhood statistics.
Is SpotCrime Free?
SpotCrime is a free service. With free access to anyone we hope to encourage public trust, increase police transparency, and promote public safety.
How does SpotCrime work?
SpotCrime crime maps help you find what the crime report in your neighborhood looks like.
We collect relevant crime data from police agencies and validated sources, plot it on a Google map, and deliver daily and weekly crime alerts. Our goal is to provide the most accurate and timely geocoded crime information to the public.
We also analyze crime trends in your neighborhood and allow you to search for crime near any address. Type in your city or zip code now to check the crime in your neighborhood.
From thefts and burglaries to assaults and shootings, make sure to stay up to date by signing up for free SpotCrime alerts and SMS alerts when new crimes arise in your area.
Stay aware, stay safe.
* While knowing how to use a firearm to defend yourself is a valuable and potentially life-saving skill, you MUST understand the elements that must materialize before you can use deadly force. These elements are not discussed within the owners manual of your firearm. They are, however, taught in detail in a good firearms training course, such as our Nevada Concealed Carry Weapon (CCW) course.
At Semper Firearms Training we encourage you to buy a good firearm, get trained in how to use it, get a Nevada CCW permit, and continue your firearms training as part of a defensive lifestyle.